Quantcast
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
RSS
Welcome to Australian Property Forum. Please register here or log in below.

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS); NRAS is a federal government initiative designed to tackle the issue of affordable housing
Topic Started: 1 Jun 2011, 08:26 PM (4,658 Views)
nrasproperty01
Default APF Avatar

Have you heard of the NRAS scheme that is encouraged by the Australian government? Well, this is something very interesting that you'd love to know about! Let me share some of the advantages that you must know about.
The advantages include:
• Promote investors into expand further housing projects for the rental market.
• It presents cost-effective and economical typical rental system for typical Australian residents.
• It comes with greater returns for investors within the real estate market.
• Maximizes further rental dwellings created with accordance to the incentive demands and assets while maintaining the necessities of the building industry.
Aside from these, there are other advantages that can be obtained from it. I might help you with these matters if you'd love to. I hope that you'll learn something from my post. Good day!
-NRAS Property :bye:
Profile "REPLY WITH QUOTE" Go to top

Alex Barton
Member Avatar
Administrator

http://www.apimagazine.com.au/api-online/news/2011/06/tax-change-to-benefit-future-of-nras

Quote:

Tax change to benefit future of NRAS

Posted on Tuesday, June 28 2011 at 3:31 PM

With the Senate's recent tax legislation change to allow joint venture partners to access the full tax offset when delivering National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) housing projects, the future funding of these projects will no longer be "under a cloud", according to Residential Development Council executive director Caryn Kakas.

"This means that not-for-profit housing companies can confidently move ahead in their delivery of long term affordable housing outcomes for key low to moderate income families across the country," said Kakas.

Kakas said these tax legislation changes would provide certainty for financial backers including banks, financial institutions and mum and dad investors.

"We thank the government for providing renewed confidence to the property and financial sectors engaging with this vital program to ensure the continued supply of affordable housing to all Australians," Kakas said.
Follow OzPropertyForum on Twitter | Like APF on Facebook | Circle APF on Google+ | View APF Gallery on Pinterest | Subscribe to APF RSS Feed | APF Youtube Channel

Alex Barton
Member Avatar
Administrator

Quote:

Two big banks shun low-income housing

SIMON JOHANSON
September 19, 2011

AUSTRALIA's big four banks and super funds show little interest in lending to investors in the federal government's National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS), dealing the much-needed housing initiative another blow.

Two of the big four banks, the Commonwealth and ANZ, still refuse finance for small investors wanting to buy homes through the scheme, which was designed to boost low-income housing across the country.

That lack of interest was revealed in this column last week when it published details of a financial blacklist of ''unacceptable'' buildings circulated by one of the big four banks late last year, which specifically barred finance for NRAS projects.

Since then Westpac and NAB have changed their policies and begun lending on NRAS developments, joining a small list of second-tier lenders willing to finance the rent-subsidised housing program now entering its fourth year.

NAB changed its policy in January this year and Westpac began lending late last year.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/property/two-big-banks-shun-lowincome-housing-20110918-1kfu3.html
Follow OzPropertyForum on Twitter | Like APF on Facebook | Circle APF on Google+ | View APF Gallery on Pinterest | Subscribe to APF RSS Feed | APF Youtube Channel

RAR
Default APF Avatar

Alex Barton
19 Sep 2011, 08:46 AM
All I can say ... is that if you want to use the NRAS and you want to build.... this is my experience with my NRAS investment property:

1 The builder did not build in accordance with the contracted plans.

2 The builder did not build in accordance with the approved plans (held by council).

3 The builder built in accordance with the not approved plans without my knowledge.

4 No variations.

The builder did not get any variations for the following:

Example 1: Black colourbond roof and not a light coloured tiled roof (as per my contract).

Example2: Separation wall is a CSR 502 not an "interhome" separation wall (as per my contract).

Example3: One electrical meter box not two (as per my contract plans).

Example4: Pine frames and trusses instead of steel (as per my approved plans held by council).

CERTIFICATION

The building certifiers did not certify my NRAS investment property in accordance with the contract plans.

The building certifiers did not certify my NRAS investment property in accordance with the approved plans (held by council).

The building certifiers certified my NRAS investment property in accordance with the not approved plans.

All attempts by me to have these issues resolved have failed.

Be aware.... be very aware.

The final word from the builder was words to the affect.... It has a roof, a fire wall and its just an investment property so get over it.

My view is that I lost 30-50k in value from my NRAS investment property.

Cheers

TSI
Default APF Avatar

I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience but really it had nothing to do with it being an NRAS property. Not all NRAS properties are good properties and not all NRAS builders are good builders.

If it is any compfort to you the property should work for you anyway, while it obviously would have been better to not have these problems you may find that your NRAS property will still out perform a non NRAS property even if you start 30-50k behind.

Have you run the cash flow showing where you stand on this property? Have you looked at the figures if you take the positive cash flow and use it to pay down the mortgage? I did one for a client this morning and for them on 65k income the property would be debt free in year 17, most investors will still owe everything they borrowed in that time. On a 350k property using 6% growth at the end of the NRAS subsidy the property will be valued at 632k and they will only owe 112k.

If you want me to run the figures for you let me know and i will do it at no cost.

Michael Sloan
TSI

nipa hut
Default APF Avatar

TSI
4 Nov 2011, 04:46 PM
I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience but really it had nothing to do with it being an NRAS property.
How could you possibly determine that?

By what mechanism are NRAS-project builders contractually responsible to *individual* NRAS investors?

RAR
Default APF Avatar

nipa hut
4 Nov 2011, 09:47 PM
TSI
4 Nov 2011, 04:46 PM
I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience but really it had nothing to do with it being an NRAS property.
How could you possibly determine that?

By what mechanism are NRAS-project builders contractually responsible to *individual* NRAS investors?
A simple evaluation from an independent builder and builder suppliers helps to determine that.

For example I have written quotes from two frame builders who have quoted on my drawings its a simple matter of comparing the wood vs steel for the difference.

Fire walls are the same... a quote for a "lafrange" vs a CSR it becomes very obvious as the cost difference stands out.

The point that I am making is this... simply be aware that doing business with the NRAS approved builder for me has been less than expected...

I thought a contract meant something.... but obviously I was wrong.

As my NRAS approved builder stated words to the effect.... it's just an investment property, it has a roof and a firewall so get over it.

Cheers

Alex Barton
Member Avatar
Administrator

I believe RAR accidentally clicked report instead of reply:

Quote:

Reported by RAR @ 50 minutes ago

Reason Hey Nipa Hut,

A simple evaluation from an independent builder and builder suppliers helps to determine that.

For example I have written quotes from two frame builders who have quoted on my drawings its a simple matter of comparing the wood vs steel for the difference.

Fire walls are the same... a quote for a "lafrange" vs a CSR it becomes very obvious as the cost difference stands out.

Electricity meter boxes were a simple quote to fix the issues created by the NRAS approved builder.

I also have a quote for the approved plan vs what the NRAS approved builder built for me.

The mechanism as I understand it works something like this... the delegate appointed by the dept. chooses a number of organisations often referred to as the "instrument" or organisation used to administer the NRAS. This "instrument" is required to meet a set criteria of standards with a range of market models etc. These are the organisations that approve a builder to build a given number of NRAS investment properties. To the best of my knowledge the "instrument" has no stated selection criteria for choosing or approving a builder to build the NRAS. No mechanism for dealing with issues or for meeting any standards. This is something that the Government both State and Federal have not explained in their advertising. As I see it their is no checks to even view if the property meets the funding requirements... simply a form 11 is required by the instrument.

The point that I am making is this... simply be aware that doing business with the NRAS approved builder for me has meant that I have been the victim of a very large building company. This NRAS approved builder is NRAS funded and that knows exactly how much it can get away with and how to save money on the contract that it signed with me, in my view.

It is very difficult to get what you paid for and no one... not the Federal or State Governments not the instrument or the delegate wants to know... you only get sympathy ( I have a letter from the Hon Minister) but no help.

You are on your own to deal with a very large and well funded NRAS approved builder.

As my NRAS approved builder stated words to the effect.... it's just an investment property, it has a roof and a firewall so get over it.

Cheers

Alex Barton
Member Avatar
Administrator

Quote:

Investors should consider buying NRAS properties: Michael Matusik

By Michael Matusik
Wednesday, 23 November 2011

To my surprise, very few investors (and sadly fewer property gate-keepers) know about the National Rental Affordability Scheme. And if they know something about it, then they are dismissive of it. And mostly – I feel – out of fear and/or ignorance.

Yes, like most government schemes, what NRAS is and its merits have been poorly communicated. And in some instances, its application further entrenches its incorrect “welfare housing” persona. But overall, it is a great scheme and too few investors (and developers) are taking the $10,000 annual rental subsidy seriously.

So what exactly is NRAS?

The National Rental Affordability Scheme or NRAS is a federal government initiative designed to tackle the issue of affordable housing.

NRAS is not a public or social housing program, but rather a tax incentive to provide quality housing at below market rental rates.

Run in conjunction with state governments, NRAS aims to induce more investment in the lower price range of the residential construction and rental market by offering inducements to investors who participate in the scheme.

NRAS offers property investors a tax-free incentive for each property for a maximum of 10 years.

Currently, this incentive is $9,524 per year for every NRAS dwelling an investor owns, comprising a federal government contribution of $7,143 per dwelling, available as a refundable tax offset; plus a state or territory contribution of $2,381 per dwelling per year, as a cash payment or in-kind financial support.

In return, rents for NRAS dwellings must be charged at no more than 80% of the market rent valuation and there is to be a maximum of one rent increase for each dwelling each year.

In Queensland for example, the state government maintains a list of NRAS-approved tenants, who must meet strict eligibility requirements.

When a vacancy occurs, eligible rental applicants are referred to approved tenancy managers who manage NRAS properties on behalf of owners.

Standard residential tenancy laws apply to NRAS properties just as they do for any private residential investment.

In other words, the same rules regarding evictions, maintenance obligations and responsibilities of tenants apply to NRAS tenants as they do to other tenants in the private sector.

Rents are indexed annually in line with the percentage change in the rental CPI component, except in years four and seven, when independent valuations are required.

And importantly, investors may exit the scheme at any time with appropriate notice and without any financial penalties.

In general, NRAS projects are well-located in terms of jobs, amenities and public transport. And in general, the design and quality of NRAS dwellings compares favourably with any private non-NRAS dwelling.

NRAS properties often co-exist within developments with other non-NRAS product.

Some of the points of difference that NRAS offers to property investors are:

• all the benefits of a normal investment property with added annual tax-free government incentives

• investors can apply property expenses, non-cash deductions and allowances against a lower assessable rental income, increasing the gearing benefit

• more than 1.5 million Australian households are eligible to rent NRAS properties, hence vacancy risk is negligible

• tenants are selected on their potential to be good tenants and their capacity to meet strict eligibility requirements

• in many markets, NRAS properties often deliver a cash flow-positive investment

• importantly, self-managed super funds can purchase these properties

• NRAS dwellings are private property – no government holds or caveats.

So here we have a scheme that shows many investment properties as cash-flow positive in the first year – and these are more often than not backed up by impressive (well by residential property standards) independent financial analysis.

What’s not to like here? You are making money from day one; providing affordable rent for those that are finding it a bit hard; have a 10-year rental guarantee (assuming the government doesn’t water down or scrap the scheme); hassle free-management (on paper at least); and a box of chocolates from the government every year.

It appears to tick all the boxes.

Several of our developer clients inform us that their NRAS product is now the first to sell to investors.

Yet the banks are scared of it and will only finance 70% of the purchase price. Some banks flatly refuse to be involved. So, too, do too many solicitors, accountants, loan brokers and real estate agents.

True to form, valuers are discounting end prices by 20% – one assumes because the owner can only charge 80% of market rent and most valuers won’t include a subsidy when determining value, despite it coming from the government and being a 10-year program.

Yes, NRAS is somewhat new; it hasn’t been that well communicated and it is a government-funded subsidy. But welfare housing it isn’t and gone are the days where one’s residential investment strategy was as simple as “buy and forget”.

Our mindset is that property investors will need to look for every break they can get.

NRAS is a break worth considering.

Read more: http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/landlords/investors-should-consider-buying-nras-properties-michael-matusik/2011112252487

RAR
Default APF Avatar

Alex Barton
23 Nov 2011, 08:01 PM
Really?

I have a 600 000 + investment and rent at 214.00 per week x 2 (duplex)

Do the math.

Also check what you actually got from your NRAS approved builder if your are building?

Not in accordance with the contract is my experience - 5 sets of plans no variations.

The NRAS has some serious issues in my opinion.

Cheers

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Australian Property Forum · Next Topic »
  • Pages:

Find us on Google+

Follow OzPropertyForum on Twitter

Australian Property Forum Housing Market Snapshot

Australian Property Forum focuses on Australian and global real estate markets, economics, and finance, including house prices, housing affordability, macroeconomics, and the likelihood of an Australian property crash. Does Australia have a housing bubble? Will house prices crash, boom or stagnate? Is it a good time to buy property using a home loan, or better to rent and save the difference? Is rent money dead money? Is the Australian property market a pyramid scheme or Ponzi scheme? Can property values rise keep rising forever? These are the types of question we address on Australia's premier real estate chat site for property bears, bulls, investors and speculators. Whether you're a property investor, first home buyer (FHB) or a happily renting tenant, this site has content for everyone. Additional topics debated on APF include politics, modern monetary theory (MMT), debt deflation, precious metals, generational divides, climate change, sustainability, alternative energy, environmental, human rights and social justice issues, whether or not Australia has a critical housing shortage, versus a glut (oversupply) of dwellings, negative gearing, capital gains tax, land tax, macro prudential regulation, reverse mortgages, debt consolidation, debt management, home insurance, landlord insurance, auction results, auction clearance rates, and all the latest house price news. Forum members also regularly review and and analyse the latest blogs and trending topics from sites like Business Spectator, Property Observer, Macrobusiness, Somersoft, Demographia, Steve Keen's Debtwatch, as well as MSM (mainstream media) articles from well known economists, reporters and commentators such as Ross Gittins, Neil Jenman, Michael Pascoe, Alan Kohler, Shane Oliver, Catherine Cashmore, Philip Soos, Louis Christopher (SQM Research), Mike (Mish) Shedlock, Leith van Onselen, Chris Becker, David Llewellyn-Smith, Chris Vedelago and more. APF is the first forum to report and debate the latest auction results and house price data releases from APM (Australian Property Monitors), Residex, RP Data Rismark, REIV (Real Estate Institute of Victoria), REINSW (Real Estate Institute of NSW), REIA (Real Estate Institute of Australia), HIA (Housing Industry Association), RBA (Reserve Bank of Australia), API (Australian Property Institute), and the ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics).

Australian Property Forum complies with ASIC Regulatory Guide 162 regarding Internet Discussion Sites. Australian Property Forum is not a provider of financial advice. Australian Property Forum does not in any way endorse the views and opinions of its members, nor does it vouch for for the accuracy or authenticity of their posts. Posts on Australian Property Forum may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. These websites are not under the control of Australian Property Forum and APF management is not responsible for their content.

It is not permitted for any Australian Property Forum member to post in the role of a licensed financial advisor or to post as the representative of a financial advisor. Australian Property Forum members are solely responsible for the accuracy and authenticity of their posts, including any alterations made to posts. It is not permitted for Australian Property Forum members to ask for or offer specific buy, sell or hold recommendations on particular stocks, as a response to a request of this nature may be considered the provision of financial advice.

Views expressed on this forum are not representative of the forum owners. The forum owners are not liable or responsible for comments posted. Information posted does not constitute financial or legal advice. The forum owners accept no liability for information posted, nor for consequences of actions taken on the basis of that information. By visiting or using this forum, members and guests agree to be bound by the Zetaboards Terms of Use.

This site may contain copyright material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner (generally, snippets from online news stories). Such content is posted to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democratic, scientific, and social justice issues. This constitutes 'fair use' of such copyright material as provided for in section 107 of US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit for research and educational purposes only. If you wish to use this material for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. Such material is credited to the true owner or licensee. We will remove from the forum any such material upon the request of the owners of the copyright of said material, as we claim no credit for such material.

For more information go to Limitations on Exclusive Rights: Fair Use

Privacy Policy: Australian Property Forum uses third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our site. These third party advertising companies may collect and use information about your visits to Australian Property Forum as well as other web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here: Google Advertising Privacy FAQ

Australian Property Forum is hosted by Zetaboards. Please refer also to the Zetaboards Privacy Policy