Quantcast
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
RSS

Welcome to Australian Property Forum. Please register here or log in below.

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Australian Housing Bubble; Why is the public not more upset about the Australian housing bubble?
Topic Started: 14 Mar 2011, 10:47 AM (2,613 Views)
apex
Default APF Avatar
Gold Member
If I chat with mates about property and the record debt levels and crazy price v income ratios they act like they couldn't care less.
I don't know whether it's a matter of pride or a matter of shame, but I hardly hear any complaint about the bubble from regular people in my circle. I don't get why more people aren't furious about the dreadful state of our housing market.
The worrying thing is most of them are totally getting screwed by the market..... paying ridiculous rent or huge mortgages to live in some shitty dogbox in crapville. Its damaging their health, social life, family and bank balance. But they never complain and I don't know why.
Wouldn't you think people would care more and be more active to fixing and lobby against the entrenched housing issues!
I reckon the main reason they don't care is false pride, and wanting to do better than their neighbors and show off their dream house even though underneath they're financially close to ruin.
They're happy to whinge about cost of living, how they pay too much tax blah blah blah but mention the housing ponzi and they go quiet and say that's just how it is.
Is my experience unique or do others get this too???
Profile "REPLY WITH QUOTE" Go to top

Deleted User
Deleted User

apex
14 Mar 2011, 10:47 AM
If I chat with mates about property and the record debt levels and crazy price v income ratios they act like they couldn't care less.
I don't know whether it's a matter of pride or a matter of shame, but I hardly hear any complaint about the bubble from regular people in my circle. I don't get why more people aren't furious about the dreadful state of our housing market.
The worrying thing is most of them are totally getting screwed by the market..... paying ridiculous rent or huge mortgages to live in some shitty dogbox in crapville. Its damaging their health, social life, family and bank balance. But they never complain and I don't know why.
Wouldn't you think people would care more and be more active to fixing and lobby against the entrenched housing issues!
I reckon the main reason they don't care is false pride, and wanting to do better than their neighbors and show off their dream house even though underneath they're financially close to ruin.
They're happy to whinge about cost of living, how they pay too much tax blah blah blah but mention the housing ponzi and they go quiet and say that's just how it is.
Howdy Master Apex
How old are you?
Do you friends have mortgages or are they outright owners?
People are outraged, mostly the young as they flee our shores in protest...
"REPLY WITH QUOTE" Go to top

Sydneyite
Member Avatar

Maybe because there is no housing bubble? And they are right when they say "that's just how it is"?? That's why there hasn't been (and won't be) a great crash?

I also note that you said they all live in a "shiity dogbox in crapville", but then go on to say that they are living in their "dream house" so they can show off to their neighbors etc?? Which is it? Care to proide any specific examples?
For Aussie property bears, "denial", is not just a long river in North Africa.....

catnap
Default APF Avatar

apex
14 Mar 2011, 10:47 AM
I know how you feel. I've been trying to nut this one out myself (with little success). Maybe people are just working too damn hard to pay off the mortgage/save for a deposit to even think about it. I hear that "just the way it is" bs all the time. Personally, I don't find it to be a pride thing. The idea that property prices always go up is so ingrained people don't question. They buy the best that they can possibly afford (or rather the bank will lend). Because if you don't buy now you will be locked out FOREVER. Buying a house is seen as a form of saving for the future. There are no apparent risks. Bubbles are what happens in other countries. It's different here. There's a major housing shortage - maybe like the one in Ireland, who knows.

Actually, I'm not sure many people actually even think about the possibility of a bubble. I remember watching a really sad property show in the UK around GFC (probably before). This couple were renting a nice flat in the area they grew up in, family close by etc. But baby on the way they buy a horrible run down dogbox in a neighbouring suburb, "to get on the ladder". Dad took only took few days paternity leave, mum 6 weeks. Now I'm not passing any judgement on mothers going back to work early - but this was not out of choice. If they'd stayed on renting they could've easily afforded on one income a bit longer. The saddest thing was they bought at the top of the market and would have almost certainly ended up in negative equity. For what?? People are so blinkered when it comes to property. This couple never stopped to think whether house prices could keep rising at the same rate. All they knew is while they tried to save for a deposit houses got more out of their reach. They felt desperate and stuck. It feels the same here now. And the government encourage this thinking with grants etc.

Mr Wu
Member Avatar

pauk
14 Mar 2011, 10:52 AM
Howdy Master Apex
How old are you?
Do you friends have mortgages or are they outright owners?
Wu wonder why pauk always so many personel detail
Pauk do profile, keep record?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mr Wu
14 Mar 2011, 02:59 PM
Wu wonder why pauk always so many personel detail
Pauk do profile, keep record?
To put the post in context.
No dossiers kept.....lol

themoops
Member Avatar

I think I've only known one person and he said it was "sick".

I think it's because a lot of the young idiot gen y's say between 20-25 are still busy partying, making something of themselves and thinking their life is going to be awesome by default. They just plain haven't done the numbers and have no idea. You've got a lot of gen x'ers who have a mortgage and do not want a crash. There are a lot, probably at least half in my experience, of boomer scum who simply like lording it and don't give a shit. Some of them dead set think they're yuppies now and they're really respectable now that basic middle class shit holes are the best part of a million in Sydney. Then you've got couples who are both making $100k odd each and it's not really a problem. One guy I used to know who fancied himself as an entrepenuer, bond style, ie no skill at all and all lies and criminality, thought he was going to be a millionaire and it wouldn't be a problem.

So basically we're about 30% of the population. I'd say about one third of that are people like us who have a clue. The other two thirds are retards who have no inkling of what a ridiculous amount of money they could save if they joined us.

Or maybe they've woken up finally? Or maybe we've finally reached the point where the banks will say no to them. Given that the market has been a lot slower lately.
stinkbug omosessuale

Frank Castle is a liar and a criminal. He will often deliberately take people out of context and use straw man arguments.
Frank finally and unintentionally gives it up and admits he got where he is, primarily via dumb luck!
See here
Property will be 50-70% off by 2016.

b_b
Default APF Avatar

Sydneyite
14 Mar 2011, 11:08 AM
Maybe because there is no housing bubble? And they are right when they say "that's just how it is"?? That's why there hasn't been (and won't be) a great crash?

I also note that you said they all live in a "shiity dogbox in crapville", but then go on to say that they are living in their "dream house" so they can show off to their neighbors etc?? Which is it? Care to proide any specific examples?
Good post.

FWIW, I think we have been bombared by MSM about the so called housing bubble over the last few years. It really kicked off with Steve Keen going on the 7:30 Report telling everyone their home was going to fall 40%. Since then, Professor Keen has walked up and down Mt Koziosko, but we still have to read about "bubbles" just about every other day.

SMH / Age have cynically taken advantage of this sentiment with some article about rising house prices, falling house prices, rising rents just about every week. They then received 100's of resposnse from both bulls and bears arguing their case (mainly bears).

Bottom line is there is now "bubble fatigue". There has been no crash. In fact since the GFC Sydny & Melbuorne are up +20%. And the reason......There is no bubble. Never was (at least in Sydney).

The scare-mongerers need to read the classic tale "the boy of cried wolf". Because thats why no-one care about bubble talk anymore...they have heard it all before. Ironically, because of the constant harping on about bubbles that don't exist, the bears have created an environment for the mother of all bubbles over the next few years.
Edited by b_b, 15 Mar 2011, 09:23 AM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

It was called the peak. It was May 2010.

We are now in a correction that will last until at least 2018.

Yes some values have risen post GFC and prices have crashed or started a major correction post GFC. Gold Coast, Noosa, Port Douglas, South Perth, Brisbane etc.

Your observations also need to include what is happening on the home planet now.....a correction.

Mr Wu
Member Avatar

pauk
15 Mar 2011, 09:35 AM

We are now in a correction that will last until at least 2018.
Wu woner how much pauk prepared to bet on this shure thing

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Australian Property Forum · Next Topic »
  • Pages:

Find us on Google+

Follow OzPropertyForum on Twitter

Australian Property Forum Housing Market Snapshot

Australian Property Forum focuses on Australian and global real estate markets, economics, and finance, including house prices, housing affordability, macroeconomics, and the likelihood of an Australian property crash. Does Australia have a housing bubble? Will house prices crash, boom or stagnate? Is it a good time to buy property using a home loan, or better to rent and save the difference? Is rent money dead money? Is the Australian property market a pyramid scheme or Ponzi scheme? Can property values rise keep rising forever? These are the types of question we address on Australia's premier real estate chat site for property bears, bulls, investors and speculators. Whether you're a property investor, first home buyer (FHB) or a happily renting tenant, this site has content for everyone. Additional topics debated on APF include politics, modern monetary theory (MMT), debt deflation, precious metals, generational divides, climate change, sustainability, alternative energy, environmental, human rights and social justice issues, whether or not Australia has a critical housing shortage, versus a glut (oversupply) of dwellings, negative gearing, capital gains tax, land tax, macro prudential regulation, reverse mortgages, debt consolidation, debt management, home insurance, landlord insurance, auction results, auction clearance rates, and all the latest house price news. Forum members also regularly review and and analyse the latest blogs and trending topics from sites like Business Spectator, Property Observer, Macrobusiness, Somersoft, Demographia, Steve Keen's Debtwatch, as well as MSM (mainstream media) articles from well known economists, reporters and commentators such as Ross Gittins, Neil Jenman, Michael Pascoe, Alan Kohler, Shane Oliver, Catherine Cashmore, Philip Soos, Louis Christopher (SQM Research), Mike (Mish) Shedlock, Leith van Onselen, Chris Becker, David Llewellyn-Smith, Chris Vedelago and more. APF is the first forum to report and debate the latest auction results and house price data releases from APM (Australian Property Monitors), Residex, RP Data Rismark, REIV (Real Estate Institute of Victoria), REINSW (Real Estate Institute of NSW), REIA (Real Estate Institute of Australia), HIA (Housing Industry Association), RBA (Reserve Bank of Australia), API (Australian Property Institute), and the ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics).

Australian Property Forum complies with ASIC Regulatory Guide 162 regarding Internet Discussion Sites. Australian Property Forum is not a provider of financial advice. Australian Property Forum does not in any way endorse the views and opinions of its members, nor does it vouch for for the accuracy or authenticity of their posts. Posts on Australian Property Forum may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. These websites are not under the control of Australian Property Forum and APF management is not responsible for their content.

It is not permitted for any Australian Property Forum member to post in the role of a licensed financial advisor or to post as the representative of a financial advisor. Australian Property Forum members are solely responsible for the accuracy and authenticity of their posts, including any alterations made to posts. It is not permitted for Australian Property Forum members to ask for or offer specific buy, sell or hold recommendations on particular stocks, as a response to a request of this nature may be considered the provision of financial advice.

Views expressed on this forum are not representative of the forum owners. The forum owners are not liable or responsible for comments posted. Information posted does not constitute financial or legal advice. The forum owners accept no liability for information posted, nor for consequences of actions taken on the basis of that information. By visiting or using this forum, members and guests agree to be bound by the Zetaboards Terms of Use.

This site may contain copyright material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such content is posted to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democratic, scientific, and social justice issues. This constitutes 'fair use' of such copyright material as provided for in section 107 of US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit for research and educational purposes only. If you wish to use this material for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. Such material is credited to the true owner or licensee. We will remove from the forum any such material upon the request of the owners of the copyright of said material, as we claim no credit for such material.

For more information go to Limitations on Exclusive Rights: Fair Use

Privacy Policy: Australian Property Forum uses third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our site. These third party advertising companies may collect and use information about your visits to Australian Property Forum as well as other web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here: Google Advertising Privacy FAQ

Australian Property Forum is hosted by Zetaboards. Please refer also to the Zetaboards Privacy Policy