Quantcast
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
RSS

Welcome to Australian Property Forum. Please register here or log in below.

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Chris Joye - Young Man in a Hurry: Profile; Profile: From 2003
Topic Started: 20 Feb 2011, 06:07 PM (9,310 Views)
BubbleBoy
Member Avatar

Olmule
20 Feb 2011, 11:36 PM
In Oz it is out of control.

There are soooo many "I made a million in property all due to my own brilliance" knobs out there nowadays. Plenty of creeps seriously believe that it was their own investment skills that allowed this. Try do it again in the next 10 years.

Not sure where it stems from, but I would guess that it is thanks to the rubbish that is on the idiot box - mostly from the US. Simple minds easily cave in to the pressure to be seen (or heard - lol) to have made it BIG.
I actually believe that narcissism comes from somehwere much deeper than that....

Narcissism is a very ugly thing. The lack of empathy, obsession with image, feeling of entitlement. All so ugly.

My name is based on a Seinfeld character, not on a belief of a housing bubble.
Profile "REPLY WITH QUOTE" Go to top

Olmule
Default APF Avatar

BubbleBoy
20 Feb 2011, 11:46 PM
I actually believe that narcissism comes from somehwere much deeper than that....

Narcissism is a very ugly thing. The lack of empathy, obsession with image, feeling of entitlement. All so ugly.

Yes - I agree it is a primal type behaviour that is easily let out if opporunity presents. Encouragement by the media to let it out is why we are seeing it more and more - well that is what I have seen/read.

Freud believed that there is much, much ugliness just below the surface of man. It is kept in check by civilised society most of the time. There are plenty of good examples of the ugliness breaking out at the moment in Northern Africa when society has fallen apart - i.e. riots/looting/raping in Egypt.

BubbleBoy
Member Avatar

Olmule
21 Feb 2011, 12:12 AM
Yes - I agree it is a primal type behaviour that is easily let out if opporunity presents. Encouragement by the media to let it out is why we are seeing it more and more - well that is what I have seen/read.

Freud believed that there is much, much ugliness just below the surface of man. It is kept in check by civilised society most of the time. There are plenty of good examples of the ugliness breaking out at the moment in Northern Africa when society has fallen apart - i.e. riots/looting/raping in Egypt.
I believe that whilst narcissism is to some extent present in most, it becoming a dominant personality trait is in many instances due to childhood traumas.

I'm sure there are those who will disagree with me and I'd rather not start a debate on child rearing methods or the causes of certain states. I guess it all depends on what psychology books one reads...
My name is based on a Seinfeld character, not on a belief of a housing bubble.

Somersoft
Member Avatar
Somersoft Property Investment Forum
Joye gets more right than Steve Keen.
Somersoft

ozz
Default APF Avatar

Somersoft
2 Jun 2011, 11:29 PM
Joye gets more right than Steve Keen.
In the past. Now he's just looking silly.

Alright Jack
Member Avatar

This article raises many questions. Should the 'Australian dream' of property ownership be available to everyone, including low wage earners?

I think so, but I doubt this is the best way to achieve it.

peter fraser
Member Avatar

pauk
20 Feb 2011, 07:00 PM
So what happened to his great ideas about affordable housing?
This really is an old article.

To answer your question, he did do something about that when he introduced EFM's (Equity Finance Mortgages)

Essentially they are a good idea, and if the banks in the USA had used them to soak up some of their borrowers debts, then this whole crisis in the USA could have been averted, or at least reduced in size.

I'm not sure whether you will remember Nassim Taleb telling the US authorities to turn debt into equity at the beginning of the crisis, but that is what he meant. If the banks had simply bought 30% of the house in exchange for debt instead of foreclosing and selling at a 30% discount, the borrower would still be in the house making payments they could afford, and the bank would still own an asset that they would eventually collect on.

EFM's could help people in lower economic circumstances buy a house, but that raises the question of whether that is really a good thing in the long term. We all know that some people just can't be saved from themselves.

Rastus2
Member Avatar

peter fraser
4 Jun 2011, 10:00 PM
This really is an old article.

To answer your question, he did do something about that when he introduced EFM's (Equity Finance Mortgages)

Essentially they are a good idea, and if the banks in the USA had used them to soak up some of their borrowers debts, then this whole crisis in the USA could have been averted, or at least reduced in size.

I'm not sure whether you will remember Nassim Taleb telling the US authorities to turn debt into equity at the beginning of the crisis, but that is what he meant. If the banks had simply bought 30% of the house in exchange for debt instead of foreclosing and selling at a 30% discount, the borrower would still be in the house making payments they could afford, and the bank would still own an asset that they would eventually collect on.

EFM's could help people in lower economic circumstances buy a house, but that raises the question of whether that is really a good thing in the long term. We all know that some people just can't be saved from themselves.

Yes, all of these complex ideas of how to make houses more affordable are to be applauded..

Or..

Home prices could drop...

If it is not rapid (as in the US), it's far less painful.

Sometimes, the simple solutions are the best ones.

Truth is, all that introducing the concept of buying a fraction of a home is just putting off the problem for another generation and pretending the house prices can/should keep rising forever.

Why on earth should this silly game keep going using complex diluted ownership methods ?

The only reason I can think is to ensure that those who bought can never lose... and those that are too young to have bought yet are always behind...
seems wrong to me.

exccer
Default APF Avatar

Quote:

http://www.blogger.com/profile/17179888415347516976

Christopher Joye

Posted Image

I first started blogging on ideas relating to economics, finance, investments and housing following an invitation from the leading financial website, Business Spectator. You can locate my old Business Spectator blog here, which has all my archived posts dating back to January 2009. I am actually now a "commentator" over at Biz Spec (ie, no longer a blogger). I have established this blog to provide an independent record of my posts and to enable more flexible, real-time filing outside of ordinary working hours. Please note that I may have an economic interest in any of the items discussed here. You should also be aware that these are my own personal views and do not represent the opinions of any other individual or institution. This material is not intended to provide, and should not be relied upon for, investment advice or recommendations. Readers are urged to seek professional advice before making any investments.

While this is a personal blog, professionally Chris is an executive director of Rismark International, having helped establish the business on the basis of a report he produced for the Australian Prime Minister's Home Ownership Task Force. In 2009 The Australian newspaper selected Chris as one of Australia’s top 10 “Emerging Leaders” in its economics category. In 2007 Chris was selected by The Bulletin magazine as one of Australia's "10 Smartest CEOs" and by BRW Magazine as one of "Australia's Top 10 Innovators". He previously worked for Goldman Sachs and the RBA. In 2008-09, the Australian Government invested $20 billion in a radical policy proposal developed by Chris to provide liquidity to Australia’s securitisation market. In February 2009, Chris was invited by the Rockefeller and MacArthur Foundations to present innovative policy solutions at the private Transforming America’s Housing Policy summit for Obama Administration officials. Chris served as a Director of The Menzies Research Centre from 2003-07. He has published widely on matters relating to financial economics and housing. He is a Research Affiliate with the Centre for Ideas and The Economy at Melbourne Uni.

earthsta
Default APF Avatar

exccer
19 Oct 2011, 12:26 PM

Posted Image

Thats a head that only a mother could love

exccer
19 Oct 2011, 12:26 PM

While this is a personal blog, professionally Chris is an executive director of Rismark International, having helped establish the business on the basis of a report he produced for the Australian Prime Minister's Home Ownership Task Force. In 2009 The Australian newspaper selected Chris as one of Australia’s top 10 “Emerging Leaders” in its economics category. In 2007 Chris was selected by The Bulletin magazine as one of Australia's "10 Smartest CEOs" and by BRW Magazine as one of "Australia's Top 10 Innovators". He previously worked for Goldman Sachs and the RBA. In 2008-09, the Australian Government invested $20 billion in a radical policy proposal developed by Chris to provide liquidity to Australia’s securitisation market. In February 2009, Chris was invited by the Rockefeller and MacArthur Foundations to present innovative policy solutions at the private Transforming America’s Housing Policy summit for Obama Administration officials. Chris served as a Director of The Menzies Research Centre from 2003-07. He has published widely on matters relating to financial economics and housing. He is a Research Affiliate with the Centre for Ideas and The Economy at Melbourne Uni.

Egotistical, self opinionated, narcissistic twat
Edited by earthsta, 19 Oct 2011, 01:26 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Australian Property Forum · Next Topic »
  • Pages:

Find us on Google+

Follow OzPropertyForum on Twitter

Australian Property Forum Housing Market Snapshot

Australian Property Forum focuses on Australian and global real estate markets, economics, and finance, including house prices, housing affordability, macroeconomics, and the likelihood of an Australian property crash. Does Australia have a housing bubble? Will house prices crash, boom or stagnate? Is it a good time to buy property using a home loan, or better to rent and save the difference? Is rent money dead money? Is the Australian property market a pyramid scheme or Ponzi scheme? Can property values rise keep rising forever? These are the types of question we address on Australia's premier real estate chat site for property bears, bulls, investors and speculators. Whether you're a property investor, first home buyer (FHB) or a happily renting tenant, this site has content for everyone. Additional topics debated on APF include politics, modern monetary theory (MMT), debt deflation, precious metals, generational divides, climate change, sustainability, alternative energy, environmental, human rights and social justice issues, whether or not Australia has a critical housing shortage, versus a glut (oversupply) of dwellings, negative gearing, capital gains tax, land tax, macro prudential regulation, reverse mortgages, debt consolidation, debt management, home insurance, landlord insurance, auction results, auction clearance rates, and all the latest house price news. Forum members also regularly review and and analyse the latest blogs and trending topics from sites like Business Spectator, Property Observer, Macrobusiness, Somersoft, Demographia, Steve Keen's Debtwatch, as well as MSM (mainstream media) articles from well known economists, reporters and commentators such as Ross Gittins, Neil Jenman, Michael Pascoe, Alan Kohler, Shane Oliver, Catherine Cashmore, Philip Soos, Louis Christopher (SQM Research), Mike (Mish) Shedlock, Leith van Onselen, Chris Becker, David Llewellyn-Smith, Chris Vedelago and more. APF is the first forum to report and debate the latest auction results and house price data releases from APM (Australian Property Monitors), Residex, RP Data Rismark, REIV (Real Estate Institute of Victoria), REINSW (Real Estate Institute of NSW), REIA (Real Estate Institute of Australia), HIA (Housing Industry Association), RBA (Reserve Bank of Australia), API (Australian Property Institute), and the ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics).

Australian Property Forum complies with ASIC Regulatory Guide 162 regarding Internet Discussion Sites. Australian Property Forum is not a provider of financial advice. Australian Property Forum does not in any way endorse the views and opinions of its members, nor does it vouch for for the accuracy or authenticity of their posts. Posts on Australian Property Forum may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. These websites are not under the control of Australian Property Forum and APF management is not responsible for their content.

It is not permitted for any Australian Property Forum member to post in the role of a licensed financial advisor or to post as the representative of a financial advisor. Australian Property Forum members are solely responsible for the accuracy and authenticity of their posts, including any alterations made to posts. It is not permitted for Australian Property Forum members to ask for or offer specific buy, sell or hold recommendations on particular stocks, as a response to a request of this nature may be considered the provision of financial advice.

Views expressed on this forum are not representative of the forum owners. The forum owners are not liable or responsible for comments posted. Information posted does not constitute financial or legal advice. The forum owners accept no liability for information posted, nor for consequences of actions taken on the basis of that information. By visiting or using this forum, members and guests agree to be bound by the Zetaboards Terms of Use.

This site may contain copyright material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner (generally, snippets from online news stories). Such content is posted to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democratic, scientific, and social justice issues. This constitutes 'fair use' of such copyright material as provided for in section 107 of US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit for research and educational purposes only. If you wish to use this material for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. Such material is credited to the true owner or licensee. We will remove from the forum any such material upon the request of the owners of the copyright of said material, as we claim no credit for such material.

For more information go to Limitations on Exclusive Rights: Fair Use

Privacy Policy: Australian Property Forum uses third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our site. These third party advertising companies may collect and use information about your visits to Australian Property Forum as well as other web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here: Google Advertising Privacy FAQ

Australian Property Forum is hosted by Zetaboards. Please refer also to the Zetaboards Privacy Policy