Quantcast
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
RSS

Welcome to Australian Property Forum. Please register here or log in below.

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Report Housing Affordability; Secure a home... at pre-boom affordable prices
Topic Started: 5 Jan 2011, 07:51 AM (1,183 Views)
Black Panther
Member Avatar

Satterley pushing cheap packages for first homebuyers

* Ashlee Mullany
* January 04, 2011 11:30AM

FIRST time buyers struggling to get into the property market will be thrown a lifeline this week, with Satterley Property Group and leading building companies set to offer what they say will be the cheapest house-and-land packages in the state.

In an attempt to address the state's housing affordability issues, the developer has joined forces with 17 of the state's building heavyweights to offer packages as cheap as $272,000.

It is the first time in more than 40 years the developer has called on the state's building industry to support a major campaign, according to the company.

Satterley boss Nigel Satterley said he believed the new packages at "pre-boom" prices would provide a much-needed boost to the state's struggling real estate market.

"It's my belief that the West Australian residential property market is rattling along the bottom of the cycle - the median house price house bottomed out," Mr Satterley said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"Over the next 10 years we will need at least 180,000 new dwellings because I think Western Australia will grow by 400,000 people, 40,000 a year.

"We believe what we are doing will help stimulate the home building industry and give people the opportunity to secure a home... at pre-boom affordable prices."

The packages will be available at eight different estates across the state from Saturday, including estates in Butler, Iluka, Secret harbour, Baldivis, Bunbury and Busselton.

The list of builders includes Dale Alcock Homes, Ventura Homes, Celebration Homes, Scott Park, Collier, Ross North and Summit.

Housing minister Troy Buswell said the State Government supported the initiative.

"Housing affordability is one of the critical issues facing Western Australia for two reasons: firstly from the social perspective to make sure than young western Australians and secondly from an economic point of view," Mr Buswell said.

"If we let a situation arise again where median house prices go up by 80 per cent.. we will quite simply create a lot of social problems and economic problems in terms of attracting labour into Western Australia.

"It's fantastic to see the industry tackling the affordability issue head on in the way that they are."

The announcement comes as Mr Buswell prepares to release his Housing Affordability Strategy in the coming weeks.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/satterley-pushing-cheap-packages-for-first-homebuyers/story-e6frg2ru-1225981741760
BLACK PANTHER
Preying on the Stupidity of the Bears
Profile "REPLY WITH QUOTE" Go to top

BubbleTrouble
Default APF Avatar

Pre-boom priced packages will just bring prices down even further. May as well wait and save even more.

Deleted User
Deleted User

This story is about an industry in trouble and resorting to desperate measures in their minds, only problem will be demand still, so let's see how they sell before rushing to the bank.
"REPLY WITH QUOTE" Go to top

Harpy
Default APF Avatar
Gold Member
"FIRST time buyers struggling to get into the property market will be thrown a lifeline this week"
Bit like a Tuna long line, covered with barbed debt hooks, and they don't come out without tearing a lot of flesh, very painful.

I'd like to see the areas where they are looking to do this, this type of last ditch attempt usually ends up in a poverty trap, cheap land too far from services, reliant on long commuting sold to people who can't afford a decent car, not to mention a house. Car breaks down, bang trap goes off, lose the job, lose the house, lose the family, back to social security with less than you started with.

Black Panther
Member Avatar

Harpy
5 Jan 2011, 08:49 AM
"FIRST time buyers struggling to get into the property market will be thrown a lifeline this week"
Bit like a Tuna long line, covered with barbed debt hooks, and they don't come out without tearing a lot of flesh, very painful.

I'd like to see the areas where they are looking to do this, this type of last ditch attempt usually ends up in a poverty trap, cheap land too far from services, reliant on long commuting sold to people who can't afford a decent car, not to mention a house. Car breaks down, bang trap goes off, lose the job, lose the house, lose the family, back to social security with less than you started with.

Very negative way at looking at this news.

Packages as cheap as $272,000 is great news for those wanting to buy a new home.

I would also say, the chances of buying this cheaply dont come around to often, so smart bears will would take advantage of this.

As the article states, the next up cycle is just around the corner.

"It's my belief that the West Australian residential property market is rattling along the bottom of the cycle - the median house price house bottomed out, Mr Satterley said.

Over the next 10 years we will need at least 180,000 new dwellings because I think Western Australia will grow by 400,000 people, 40,000 a year."

BLACK PANTHER

barns
Member Avatar

I don't know much about WA (being a Sydneysider) but have visited a few times, most recently August 2010. During that trip I drove down to Margaret River and saw new suburbs and even new towns full of pastel rendered house and land project homes. I think there is risk in these are there were a lot of them. Having said that, free-standing houses in well located suburbs close to the Perth CBD (Subiaco, North Perth, Scarborough) don't seem to have suffered much, ie, less than 5% drops, and due to the increased wealth from mining can expect to at least hold their own I would imagine. I don't believe you will get 'bargains' in such places even if some out suburbs continue to have falls.

http://apm.domain.com.au/Research/?AddressLine=subiaco&LocationType=Suburb&State=WA&SuburbId=13578
“You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means” - Inigo Montoya

raveswei
Default APF Avatar

This is a good plan. Adding more supply on huge oversupply will just help push prices down faster.
By the time these homes are completed there will be thousands of $270k houses on the market.
Finally government did something to improve affordability and to help the economy on the long run.
http://popping-bubble.blogspot.com/

Thinking of an Australian property speculator (PI):
Inaction = missing opportunities.
Missing opportunities = losing.
Too much thinking = inaction.
Thinking = missing opportunities.
Therefore thinking = losing.

disgraceful little man Frank Castle owes a house to Salvation Army

Harpy
Default APF Avatar
Gold Member
Black Panther
5 Jan 2011, 08:56 AM
Harpy
5 Jan 2011, 08:49 AM

Very negative way at looking at this news.

Packages as cheap as $272,000 is great news for those wanting to buy a new home.

I would also say, the chances of buying this cheaply dont come around to often, so smart bears will would take advantage of this.

"It's my belief that the West Australian residential property market is rattling along the bottom of the cycle - the median house price house bottomed out, Mr Satterley said.

Over the next 10 years we will need at least 180,000 new dwellings because I think Western Australia will grow by 400,000 people, 40,000 a year."

Article written by developers, paraphrased by a pseudo journalist, are we to believe that this is a truly benevolant gesture and the builders and developers are forgoing profit to provide affordable housing, there's always a catch. My policy is to make informed decisions, that is knowing all the downsides you are buying, the upsides are easy, the seller will tell you these.
I do not doubt that WA may well continue in the mining boom for a long time yet, but that's a big may?
Particularly in WA, all hopes seem to be reliant on the mining boom underpinning all aspects of the economy and it has been like this for a long time, hence other sectors of the economy have been neglected, if there should be a small decline in the mining sector the effects will be multiplied many fold in WA. Global economies need China to hold the 7-8% growth rate and China is struggling with this, not to maintain it but to manage side effects, the talk is if they fall back to 5-6% then this will reverberate throughout the world, this looks unsustainable.
Just look at comodity prices, they have peaked because of a true shortage of supply, but supply is ramping up, if Chinas demand were to fall just 5%, thats where all the cream is, suddenly the negotiations at the table flip it becomes a buyers market and comodity prices fall.
A cappachino is just a flat white with a lot of froth and sprinkle of cocoa, that stuff on top is less than 5% of the true volume, below that it's just a coffee.
Unlike peak oil?, iron ore and coal reserves are plentiful, this is just a short term blip, they will come back to base cost of production and China (and India) will buy from the cheapest supplier, that's capitalism.
So I would more likely be looking to buy property in areas that have not shown the boom growth of this decade, like some of the good stable regional centres.

BubbleTrouble
Default APF Avatar

Black Panther
5 Jan 2011, 08:56 AM

Opinionated rubbish. Hope is not a strategy.

Black Panther
Member Avatar

BubbleTrouble
5 Jan 2011, 09:52 AM
Opinionated rubbish. Hope is not a strategy.
Interesting Responses, question, how low does the price of a entry level house and land package have to go before you's would consider purchasing one ...
BLACK PANTHER

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Australian Property Forum · Next Topic »
  • Pages:

Find us on Google+

Follow OzPropertyForum on Twitter

Australian Property Forum Housing Market Snapshot

Australian Property Forum focuses on Australian and global real estate markets, economics, and finance, including house prices, housing affordability, macroeconomics, and the likelihood of an Australian property crash. Does Australia have a housing bubble? Will house prices crash, boom or stagnate? Is it a good time to buy property using a home loan, or better to rent and save the difference? Is rent money dead money? Is the Australian property market a pyramid scheme or Ponzi scheme? Can property values rise keep rising forever? These are the types of question we address on Australia's premier real estate chat site for property bears, bulls, investors and speculators. Whether you're a property investor, first home buyer (FHB) or a happily renting tenant, this site has content for everyone. Additional topics debated on APF include politics, modern monetary theory (MMT), debt deflation, precious metals, generational divides, climate change, sustainability, alternative energy, environmental, human rights and social justice issues, whether or not Australia has a critical housing shortage, versus a glut (oversupply) of dwellings, negative gearing, capital gains tax, land tax, macro prudential regulation, reverse mortgages, debt consolidation, debt management, home insurance, landlord insurance, auction results, auction clearance rates, and all the latest house price news. Forum members also regularly review and and analyse the latest blogs and trending topics from sites like Business Spectator, Property Observer, Macrobusiness, Somersoft, Demographia, Steve Keen's Debtwatch, as well as MSM (mainstream media) articles from well known economists, reporters and commentators such as Ross Gittins, Neil Jenman, Michael Pascoe, Alan Kohler, Shane Oliver, Catherine Cashmore, Philip Soos, Louis Christopher (SQM Research), Mike (Mish) Shedlock, Leith van Onselen, Chris Becker, David Llewellyn-Smith, Chris Vedelago and more. APF is the first forum to report and debate the latest auction results and house price data releases from APM (Australian Property Monitors), Residex, RP Data Rismark, REIV (Real Estate Institute of Victoria), REINSW (Real Estate Institute of NSW), REIA (Real Estate Institute of Australia), HIA (Housing Industry Association), RBA (Reserve Bank of Australia), API (Australian Property Institute), and the ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics).

Australian Property Forum complies with ASIC Regulatory Guide 162 regarding Internet Discussion Sites. Australian Property Forum is not a provider of financial advice. Australian Property Forum does not in any way endorse the views and opinions of its members, nor does it vouch for for the accuracy or authenticity of their posts. Posts on Australian Property Forum may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. These websites are not under the control of Australian Property Forum and APF management is not responsible for their content.

It is not permitted for any Australian Property Forum member to post in the role of a licensed financial advisor or to post as the representative of a financial advisor. Australian Property Forum members are solely responsible for the accuracy and authenticity of their posts, including any alterations made to posts. It is not permitted for Australian Property Forum members to ask for or offer specific buy, sell or hold recommendations on particular stocks, as a response to a request of this nature may be considered the provision of financial advice.

Views expressed on this forum are not representative of the forum owners. The forum owners are not liable or responsible for comments posted. Information posted does not constitute financial or legal advice. The forum owners accept no liability for information posted, nor for consequences of actions taken on the basis of that information. By visiting or using this forum, members and guests agree to be bound by the Zetaboards Terms of Use.

This site may contain copyright material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such content is posted to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democratic, scientific, and social justice issues. This constitutes 'fair use' of such copyright material as provided for in section 107 of US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit for research and educational purposes only. If you wish to use this material for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. Such material is credited to the true owner or licensee. We will remove from the forum any such material upon the request of the owners of the copyright of said material, as we claim no credit for such material.

For more information go to Limitations on Exclusive Rights: Fair Use

Privacy Policy: Australian Property Forum uses third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our site. These third party advertising companies may collect and use information about your visits to Australian Property Forum as well as other web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here: Google Advertising Privacy FAQ

Australian Property Forum is hosted by Zetaboards. Please refer also to the Zetaboards Privacy Policy